Saturday, October 26, 2013

 

Crystal Skulls and Throwing Swords


I have been in London for the past week. I haven't been doing as much work as I ought to and that needs to change. But anyway... London. The Big Smoke. I actually lived here for six months back in 1989 and it has changed a lot since then. But you don't want to hear about that...

A couple of days ago I went to the theatre in the West End to watch a play about the singer Paul Robeson. Very good it was too. If I had more money I would go to the theatre more often, but I don't so I shan't. I tend to stick to free activities. The British Museum is a free activity and one of the best museums in the world.

This photo shows me with one of the famous 'crystal skulls' that were supposedly made by the ancient inhabitants of Atlantis or the Aztecs. With this skull you can channel the cosmic powers of the ages, mages and sages. Unfortunately it doesn't really work. This is because it's not really an antediluvian artefact but was made by craftsmen in 19th Century Brazil. Even if it was an antediluvian artefact it wouldn't work, because supernatural powers don't exist. No matter! It's still impressive. The crystal skull is the object in the foreground, by the way...

Back in 2009 I wrote a novel called Twisthorn Bellow that features a golem who uses a kpinga. A kpinga is an African throwing sword. Here is a display case of genuine kpingas and fearsome weapons they are too! Imagine facing an oncoming barrage of these! Unfortunately this novel is unavailable as a physical object: the first edition sold out and hasn't yet been reprinted. But the kindle version is still available and maybe one day there will be a proper reprint.




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]