Thursday, August 12, 2021

 

Belperron Reborn


I have had a new chapbook published by Mount Abraxas Press in Romania. BELPERRON REBORN is a sequence of four fictions linked by the themes of reincarnation and identity. It's a proper old-fashioned chapbook that folds out concertina-style. I invented the character of Belperron almost twenty years ago and he has appeared in several stories since. 

As my grand cycle of 1000 linked short stories finally nears completion it has become time to start wrapping up some of the mini cycles within it. The 'Belperron' stories form one of these epicycles. Most of the epicycles overlap with other epicycles. Any schematic of the big story cycle is going to be very complicated and the lines of connection may perhaps be inextricably tangled. One day I will have to sit down and map out all the epicycles, which means consigning the thousand stories into groups, but many of the stories fit into more than one group. I am sure I will eventually find a way through the problem.

This is what happens when a big project is allowed to grow organically rather than be planned with the precision of an engineer from the very beginning. But I have no regrets as to the way I have proceeded. Every story ideally has to work on its own no matter what epicycle it does or doesn't belong to. That is the most important thing. Anyway, the chapbook is now published, but obtaining copies might not be easy, as it is a strictly limited edition. I have exactly one spare one, if anyone wants to buy it.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]