Sunday, November 05, 2023

 

The Graphologist and Other Stories


A chapbook of four of my ghost tales has been published. These stories are more Gothicky and less whimsical than most of my Weird fiction. In fact, I'll go as far as to say they are proper horror stories. None have been published before.

The chapbook includes a story called 'The Tipping Point', which is my attempt to write something inspired by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, although ultimately it doesn't really resemble a Le Fanu tale in structure or plot; yet it has something of the same mood that infuses his work, or so I believe. Le Fanu, for me, was one of the best ghost story writers of all time. I much prefer his slightly offbeat visions to the drier and more elitist pontifications of M.R. James.

The other three stories in the chapbook are 'The Puppet Show', a sort of Ligotti tribute; 'The Filtered Ones', my attempt to write a tropical ghost story and my own favourite among the four pieces; and the title story, 'The Graphologist', a brief horror thought-experiment about a paradoxical situation.

The chapbook is one in a series of booklets that includes work by Douglas Thompson, Stephan Clark, Jonathan Wood, Christian Riley, and others. It has been published by the legendary and rather elusive Mount Abraxas Press and this means I have no good idea where you will be able to purchase it, nor any of the other chapbooks in the series... Getting hold of Mount Abraxas productions is never the easiest bookish task in the world!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]