Sunday, May 19, 2024

 

Rabbit's Shadow in German


I have written 1104 stories in the past thirty-three years, but if I had to choose only one to survive an unspecified disaster, I would select the novella MY RABBIT'S SHADOW LOOKS LIKE A HAND, written in 2019 and published two years later by Eibonvale Press as a chapbook.

The reason I would choose this one is because it showcases all the things about my writing that I regard as most fulfilling to me. It's an integrated work with a philosophical concept at its core and a twist ending; but it also consists of a mosaic of smaller tales and poems, and some of those tales and poems are OuLiPo based; also I believe that the language of the text is lyrical and suitably witty. That's my opinion anyway...

And to my delight, this is also my first work translated into German. Peter Mordio is the person responsible for arranging this alchemy and I am hugely indebted to him. Christian Veit Eschenfelder is the translator; his task was very difficult, and although I won't go so far as to compare him to David Bellos translating Georges Perec, I certainly am amazed that he agreed to tackle such a complex project as my novella.

Der Schatten meines Hasen sieht aus wie eine Hand is available in paperback and also ebook editions and I am hoping it will be the first of many translations of my fiction into German...


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]